Some birds are cavity nesting species, which means that they prefer to build their nests inside of holes in trees. Many of these types of birds will also use a nest box for their nest, including the common black-capped chickadee. You can build your own nest box for your backyard with the help of an adult.
Supplies and Tools
Cedar wood boards
- Miter saw or table saw
- With the help of an adult, cut pieces of wood for your chickadee nest box according to these blueprints.
- Use your drill to screw the pieces of the nest box together. Always pre-drill your holes to prevent the wood from splitting.
- Install your chickadee nest box in your backyard on a tree branch.
How do chickadees and other bird species find places to nest in nature? Hint: read our factsheet about snags.
What other birds nest in cavities, or use nest boxes?
- Do any mammals use nest boxes?
- Could an animal use a nest box for anything other than making a nest or raising their young?
This activity requires assistance from an adult. For a shortcut, you can also purchase a nest box kit from local stores, such as the Wildbird General Store.
Click here for more information about nest boxes.