What You'll Need
- Paint and paint brushes
- Beads, bells, and/or buttons
- String or yarn
- Tape or glue
- Twine or floss
What to Do
- Head outside and collect some sticks and twigs. You will want your sticks to be Y-shaped so that you can use it to create your instrument (refer to the photo above).
- This step is where you get creative! Use your colourful string or yarn to wrap around the stick or use your paint and paint brushes to design your Y-shaped stick however you want.
- Once the paint has dried, take a piece of twine or floss that is long enough to reach from one side of the "Y" to the other. (see image above). Tie one end of the twine to one side of the stick.
- With one end of the twine attached to the stick, you can now attach beads, bells, buttons, or other items that will thread on to your twine to make your instrument make noise.
- Make sure you don't put too many things on your twine. There should be enough room for the beads, buttons, and bells to move back and forth, so that they hit against each other and make noise.
- Now, tie the other end of the twine to the other side of the stick (as pictured above).
- Cut off any loose ends of the twine, and your coloured stick instrument is ready to go!
- Shake your coloured stick instrument to make music. Try using different sized sticks and beads to make different sounds with your instrument.
- Which real musical instruments is the coloured stick instrument you created similar to?
- If you had a bigger stick, would your instrument make different noises? What if you had a smaller stick?
- What other kinds of instruments could you make at home?