April 22 marks Earth Day, a day that celebrates environmental protection. This activity is one way that you can celebrate Earth Day and contribute to making the environment a better place for wildlife and people to live.
What You'll Need
- Garbage bags
- High visibility safety vests
What to Do
- Begin with a safety talk about what trash the kids should not pick up while they are out picking, the boundaries of the area to stay within, and traffic safety.
- Things to not pick up include sharp objects, heavy objects, needles and dead animals.
- Find an area that has litter that needs to be picked up. Make sure to dress appropriately which means wearing gloves, closed toed shoes, and a safety vest.
- Take a garbage bag and begin picking up litter in the area.
- Why do you think people litter?
- What can we do to reduce our littering?
- How might the trash effect animals and plants in an ecosystem?