A fun activity to get the kids outside in the beautiful weather! This activity is a great opportunity to teach them about colour recognition and the variety of vibrant colours that exist in nature.
What You'll Need
- Baby food tray OR ice cube tray OR egg carton
- Coloured paper
- Gather or collect objects in nature of various colours
What To Do
- Cut your sheets of colored foam paper/regular paper into pieces small enough to line the bottom of the tray/carton.
- There should be a different colour in each section of the tray. For younger kids, choose colours that you know they have a chance of finding a match (for example, green and brown are good colours to use).
- Head outside!
- Start finding objects to match your colours.
- After you have made all of your matches, you can talk about what you have found
- (Use your 5 senses!)
- What are the colours of the objects you have found?
- What types of objects have bright colours? Dark colours?
- Why do objects in nature have different colours? Do these colours serve a purpose?
- Which colours were easier to find and which were more difficult to find?
(Thumbnail Image by LiteWriting aka Loreen72, www.flickr.com/creativecommons)