Bugs are everywhere, but sometimes it's hard to find them. Try this simple activity to see what bugs you can find.
- White or light coloured backdrop: sheet, pillow case, paper, paper towel
- Bug jar or magnifying glass (optional)
- Bug identification book (optional)
- Place your white backdrop next to a shrub, tree, or plant.
- Shake the plant gently to make bugs fall off.
- Look at the bugs that you found. Use a bug jar or magnifying glass to look at them closely.
- When you're finished looking at the bugs, gently roll them onto the ground or back onto the plant.
- What types of bugs fell off your plant? Can you identify any of them?
- What happens to bugs in the winter?
- What are some examples of bugs that are important to people?