Make your own fort or other structure using natural building materials for a fun day outside! Think about what other animals make their own forts or homes using parts of trees and other plants.
What You'll Need
- A great imagination
- Trees, logs, sticks
- Moss, leaves, other plant debris
- Rope (optional)
- Buckets (optional)
- Pocket knife (optional; only if parent supervision is high)
What to Do
- Find a forest, a treed place, or other natural area where there are lots of trees and other building materials for your fort.
- Search for various sizes of sticks, rocks, and other plants that you can use to construct your own personal nature fort.
- Start to build your fort! You could try leaning sticks against live trees, or against each other in a teepee shape. Use your imagination to make your nature fort as unique and fun as you can!
- What animals make forts or homes for themselves?
- What adaptations do these animals have to make their own fort?
- Was there a material that worked better than others?
- What did you do to make sure your fort was stable?