• Located in Strathcona County
• Adjacent to Cooking Lake
• Within the Beaver Hills UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, & Dark Sky Preserve
• 1,400 Acres
• 90 km drive from central Edmonton
Please read our full guidelines before visiting our sites.
Golden Ranches is located in the Cooking Lake Moraine Natural Area and Prairie Pothole region, which contain numerous wetlands and aspen forest, and are critical habitat for many species of wildlife. The Golden Ranches site provides landscape connectivity for wildlife as they live and move in the area.
The grasslands of the natural area provide habitat for ground nesting birds, and the forested areas provide cover for large mammals. The Golden Ranches site includes nearly 8 kilometres of North Cooking Lake shoreline.
EALT works with several partnering organizations to conserve this property.
Stewardship Highlights and Recent News
- We installed 53 nest boxes for tree swallows, bluebirds and waterfowl, and monitor these annually.
- In partnership with The Carbon Farmer, over 220,000 trees were planted at Golden Ranches.
- We continue to work to make the habitat safer for wildlife by removing barbed wire and controlling invasive plants.